Home > Examination
Latest news and next steps
Joint Core Strategy Adopted by all three Councils
At full council meetings of Gloucester City Council on the 23rd November 2017, Tewkesbury Borough Council on the 5th December 2017 and Cheltenham Borough Council on the 11th December 2017 all three councils voted in favour of adopting the proposed Joint Core Strategy (JCS).
In accordance with Regulations 26 and 35 of the Town and Country Planning (Local Planning) (England) Regulations 2012 the statutory Adoption Statement and supporting documents have been published on this website and can be accessed by following the links below:
Copies of all of the above documents have been deposited at the following locations:
Full details on the Sustainability Appraisal for the Plan can be viewed by following this link:
Inspectors final report issued
Planning Inspector, Elizabeth Ord issued her final report on the 26th October 2017 along with the final schedule of main modifications.
To review the report and schedule please click on the links below:
- MM41A - JCS EIP Inspectors Final Report - 26 October 2017 (pdf, 439 KB)
- MM41B - JCS EIP Main Modifications Schedule Final - 26 October 2017 (pdf, 2 MB)
The next step in the process is for the Inspector's conclusions, covered in the final report, to be considered by the three Councils at the following full council meetings:
- Gloucester City Council - 23rd November 2017
- Tewkesbury Borough Council - 5th December 2017
- Cheltenham Borough Council - 11th December 2017
Further details of these meetings and associated paperwork, which will include the 'Adoption' version of the JCS will be available, once issued, on the relevant council websites.
Following requests for updates on various matters identified in the Programme and during the proposed modifications hearings the following position statements have been received:
- JCS authorities response - Global (pdf, 320 KB)
- JCS authorities response - Gypsies & travellers (pdf, 1 MB)
- JCS authorities response - Air quality (pdf, 4 MB)
- Environment Agency response - Flooding (pdf, 137 KB)
- Gloucestershire County Council response - Transport (pdf, 153 KB)
- Gloucestershire County Council response - Minerals (pdf, 78 KB)
- Highways England response - Transport (pdf, 162 KB)
- Severn Trent Water response - West Cheltenham (pdf, 170 KB)
- Stroud District Council response - Cross boundary issues (pdf, 178 KB)
- Neighbourhood Development Plan for Twigworth, Down Hatherley and Norton - Briefing note (pdf, 75 KB)
- Bredon & Bredon's Norton Parish Council statement - Tewkesbury supply (pdf, 142 KB)
- Bredon & Bredon's Norton Parish Council statement - Transport evidence (pdf, 619 KB)
- JCS Legal opinion - Mitton (pdf, 109 KB)
- Worcestershire County Council response - Transport (pdf, 87 KB)
- JCS authorities - Twigworth, Down Hatherley and Norton Neighbourhood Plan (pdf, 82 KB)
- Positively prepared (based on a strategy that seeks to meet objectively assessed development and infrastructure requirements, including unmet requirements from neighbouring authorities where it is reasonable to do so and consistent with achieving sustainable development);
- Justified (the most appropriate strategy when considered against the reasonable alternatives, based on proportionate evidence);
- Effective (the plan should be deliverable over its period and based on effective joint working on cross-boundary strategic priorities);
- Consistent with national policy (the plan should enable the delivery of sustainable development in accordance with the policies in the Framework).
Briefing notes have been prepared by the Inspector and should assist in your understanding of the Examination process. Any queries people may have regarding the Examination process should be directed to the Programme Officer who will be happy to assist.
The Programme Officer
The Programme Officer, Ian Kemp, will act as the primary contact for any person who has an interest in the Examination and as a liaison between the Inspector, the Joint Authorities and Representors.
He is an independent Officer of the Examination and works on behalf of the Inspector to organise and manage the administrative and procedural matters of the Examination process. Mr Kemp is the appropriate point of contact for any questions relating to timetabling or procedural matters. All statements will also be submitted through him.
Any matters that anyone wishes to raise with the Inspector should be submitted via the Programme Officer.
16 Cross Furlong,
Tel: 01527 861 711
Mobile: 0772 300 9166
Hearing sessions, venue and timetable
Hearing Sessions commenced at 10.00am on Tuesday 19th May 2015 within the Council Chamber of Cheltenham Borough Council, Municipal Offices, Promenade, Cheltenham, GL50 9SA.
The Inspector is examining the Pre-Submission version of the JCS from June 2014. So far there been a large number of examination sessions into the proposal policies and proposals of the Plan.
The timetable from here is set out in the 'Programme, Matters and Issues' document below. This will be updated as and when a new version becomes available.